The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

 

Vacation for Mom -- Family Free with Friends Who Are Family


School is out for summer!

School is out forever!

Well, no, not really. But it is over for me for the next two and a half days! Woo-woo-hoo-hoo!!!

My husband usually takes the kids camping for approximately eighteen hours. Enough time for me to say, "I have the night to myself." In the wee hours of the a.m. I see them climbing down the front stairs. "And the morning for my family."

I am grateful for the free time however short it may be.

But this is long one. Roughly two days is equivalent to a week for me.

With the family gone, I read, write and lounge.

Tomorrow morning a friend is visiting from Palo Alto. About one p.m. she will leave so I can pick up at the airport my best friend, Amy, in from Seattle who is visiting for a week. Amy called last week to say she had an unexpected opening her her schedule and wondered if she could come and visit.

This was untrue. Unbeknown to me, her mother revealed that Amy's  intentions for suddenly coming were, "Dawn's had a lot of deaths the last year. I know it's been hard. I have to come and be with her." A true BFF. Her mother is my second mother (pronounced muth-a). A New York Jewish mother if ever (pronounced ev-a) there was one. I am lucky to have this family in my life since I was eleven.

Amy enjoys her pot. Not my thing. So I've been trying to score some from a friend who lives life firmly on the edges.  Her telephone is not accepting voice message, texts or anything that resembles communications. Oh, well. I have two great bottles of wine, an entire evening without children and we can have a gabfest.

This looks to be a wonderful beginning to what I feel certain will be a great summer.

By Dawn YunPublish Post

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?