The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Monday, August 04, 2008

 

Butterflies -- and Tears -- Are Free

Monday afternoon my boys were begging to go outside.  They didn’t want to go in the backyard where they can play independently, but in the front yard to ride their bikes. 

I needed to unload the grocery bags first, and then empty the dishwasher.  That doesn’t sound difficult, but with cleaning up accidental spills and refereeing the sharing of toys, it looked like it may take us three days before we’d get to see the sun.

Finally, I told them we would visit the bathroom and then go outside.  When Henrik, my two-year-old, was standing by the bathtub, all of a sudden he fell straight down, hitting his chin on the bathtub and then ricocheted back to hit his head on the toilet, and then crumpled on the floor screaming.  Lucas, my four-year-old, ran to his room to hide since he hates the sound of his brother crying. 

I picked Henrik up and saw he’d split his chin.  It was so sad to see that I started crying along with him.  He calmed down and looked at me confused.  What’s that? He asked, touching my tear.  “Mommy’s crying,” I answered. 

Lucas was listening from his room and yelled out worriedly, “Mama, are you crying, too?”  “Yes,” I called back, “but it’s OK.  I’m just sad that your brother hurt himself.”  Henrik then pointed at his tears.  “Rerick cry, too!” he said, making the connection.

I called my mom for advice on making butterfly bandages to close the cut on his chin.  With five kids, she has lots of experience. 

Two days later, his chin has already healed.  It’s amazing how quickly young bodies bounce back. 

And I survived my first butterfly bandage application. 

I hope we have many butterflies, but very few boo-boos, in our future.

 

By Kristy Lund

Labels: , , ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?