The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

 

It's Camp Time!!!

Marathon mommy time again.

My daughter started camp this week, while my son is a counselor-in-training there. 

"A CIT," he proudly announced while completing his Rubik's Cube in 1 minute, 29 seconds.

"Now watch your sister, Jay," I asked him.

"I'll try," he said.

"No, don't try. Do. Please watch your sister."

He solved his Rubik's Cube in 1 minute, 20 seconds.

At the end of the first day when I went to pick them up I asked if he had kept an eye on Mimi.

"I couldn't," my 15-year old said. "I had bathroom duty."

He turned the Rubik's Cube more quickly. One minute, 12 seconds.

The next day I asked again that he watch his sister.

"You know I'm busy being a CIT." 

I had hoped that he would be more CSI and maybe investigate where his sister might be during the day. Those were my original plans. With children, hopes and reality are often two different things.

Just then Goth Girl, another CIT at the camp who most obviously has the hots for him, reached out her arm and he handed her his Rubik's Cube. She stood about an inch away. I've never seen Jay interact with another girl. And really, I still haven't, because she was doing all the flirting. 

Later I asked if he liked her. He mumbled and got all embarrassed. "I don't know."

"Because she sure likes you."

"I know," he said with the tiniest of smiles.

He also revealed that three girls had asked him out at school last year, two of them a year older. He didn't date one because he said he was waiting for the right girl.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"I'm not really sure," he said, a confused look crossing his face.

The next morning Goth Girl, the only name we have for her, was waiting for him. Her confidence was striking. I wasn't at all like that at her age. She reminded me of someone. Not her looks, her attitude. I realized it was my six-year old, Mimi.

She, too, knows what she has going on inside and out. As a mother, it makes me feel better knowing that when she goes into the world she will know how to navigate it. 

Mimi will break hearts. I think Jay will get his heart broken. 

He solved his Rubik's Cube in one minute, 10 seconds. Then it broke. Jay could no longer hide behind a game. I watched as he and Goth Girl walked over a hill toward the camp kids.

I don't know if she's the right girl, but besides counselor-in-training experience, he's also getting an internship in girlfriend in the making.

Meanwhile, Mimi has run off to play with some boys. Older ones. Is she a future Goth Girl? 

Now, if he could only keep an eye on his sister.

By Dawn Yun

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?