The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Friday, April 04, 2008

 

Fabulous!

After making my daughter breakfast, Fruity Pebbles and soy milk, I laid on the couch in the fetal position wracked with ulcer pain.

This was not at all noticed by Mimi. She asked if I could play her “High School Musical” CD.

“You want me. . . to get up?”

I put on the CD.

We listened to a couple of songs when Mimi turned to me and with the most serious look on her face and announced, “Mom, this song is about – being fabulous.”

I went from writing in pain to rolling with laughter.

“No, Mom,” Mimi said, her face deeply serious. “I speak the truth. This song is about being fabulous.”

I tried not to laugh. Laughing at her “serious” statements really sets her off. Then -- brainstorm!

“Hey, Mom, can I use your yoga mat as a runway and walk up and down it like a rock star?

I knew I would NOT be a good mother if I did not allow her to pursue this "important" pursuit.

From behind the couch I pulled out my mat and unfurled it.

Inspired, Mimi ran into her room and came back with her recently won yellow tae-kwon-do belt wrapped around her neck like a boa constrictor. She sang, posed, and danced up and down the mat until the song ended.

Mimi then informed me that she wanted to be a rock star like her idols, Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers.

“But I thought you wanted to play the drums?”

She put her hand on her hip and stared at me, like I didn’t get it. “How can I dance and sing on stage if I’m sitting behind drums? I need to play the guitar so I can run around the stage like Miley.”

“O-kay, if that’s what you want to play, we’ll get you guitar lessons.”

She looked sad.

“What’s wrong, baby?”

“But how am I going to be a rock star if I don’t have a songwriter?”

She did have a dilemma.

“Hon, I’ve written a lot of song lyrics. They’re about feelings. If you sit and write what you feel, you’ll have a song.”

Inspired, she sat down and wrote two lines. The first was about hating school. The second was about loving her cat.

She had her song. I have no idea where her rock star fantasies will take her. I do know I took the song lyrics and put them in my keepsake drawer containing all the things I love most that she has painted and made since she was a baby.

When I next saw her she was wearing “rock star” glasses and had attitude aplenty.

As she danced, a combination of ballet, tae-kwon-do, High School Musical, and Mimi, all I could think was -- this girl is fabulous.

I can’t wait to see what becomes her when she turns 7.

By Dawn Yun

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?