The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Friday, February 15, 2008

 

Primary

Thrilled that we are finally approaching a national election where my party has a pretty good chance of getting a candidate into the White House, I’ve been following the Democratic Presidential Primaries with a near fanatical obsession.

As a result, I’ve been a little lax about the TV being on during “mommy hours,” which means my three-year-old has been consuming a fairly regular diet of CNN political coverage.

She also averages about ten questions a minute these days, so she’s now pretty well informed about the Clinton-Obama horse race. “Who’s that?” she asked me last week as we were watching the Super Tuesday results come in.

“That’s Barack Obama,” I tell her. “He’s running for President.”

“And who’s that?” she asks as CNN’s Wolf Blitzer switches to a graph detailing exit poll results for California. “That’s Hillary Clinton. She’s running for president, too.”

The girl definitely pays attention. This morning as we were walking to preschool together, we pass by a neighboring apartment building, a Clinton sign in one window and an Obama sign in the other. Emi recognizes the signs as having to do with the presidential election, as I also have an Obama one in my office and she has, of course, asked about it. “Hillary Clinton is running for President,” she reminds me. “And Barack Obama.”

“You got it,” I answer. But forgetting that she is only three and I don’t really need to make my pitch for either one, I add, “Mommy voted for Barack.”

We continue on our way for a few minutes, me on the lookout for Volkswagen Beetles. Keeping a running tally of how many we spot is how we generally pass the time on the way to school. But Emi wants to keep talking politics today.

“I’m for Hillary Clinton,” she tells me.

Well, I have to say, I am impressed and proud, even if she’s not supporting my candidate. You’ve got to love a young woman who thinks for herself.

By Shannon Matus-Takaoka

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?