The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

 

Prayers Answered

When my son celebrated his 13th birthday a few months ago, his birthmother, the teenager who gave him his life and then gave him to me, sent him a CD with her favorite song.

The band was Rascal Flatts and the song she wanted to share so badly that she had written all the lyrics down for him was, “My Wish.”

One line goes, "My wish for you is that this life becomes all that you want it to ... I hope you never look back, but you never forget, all the ones who love you in the place you left."

Kim allowed me to become a mother and I'll never stop being grateful for that. But she didn't stop being a mother just because she gave her baby to someone else to raise. She has continued to love the boy we both adore without ever making me feel less his mother by doing so.

I'll never stop being grateful for that, either.

A few months ago, Christopher suffered a sudden, serious illness. While I was at his side at the hospital for five days, my husband alerted family and friends. I didn't know it at the time but Kim e-mailed constantly begging for news. She worried frantically and yet there was nothing she could do but pray.

My son did recover and in the days following his return home I read over the cards and e-mails that had been sent to support our family. The ones that touched me the most, though, were from Kim, who along with her husband and parents had researched the strange disease -- a severe allergic reaction called Stevens Johnson Syndrome -- that had attacked my son.

Her last note came after she had learned his condition had improved. She wrote mother to mother: "Our prayers have been answered."

She was right; the prayers of both our families had been answered. What she didn't know though was that my own prayer had been answered years before when I met her, a terrified teenager who became pregnant the night she lost her virginity.

They were answered when Kim trusted me to become her son's mother. And they've been answered every day since as she continues to be a loving force in my family's life.

By Laura-Lynne Powell

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?