The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Monday, January 14, 2008

 

Celebrity Gossip

My latest obsession is celebrity gossip. I have always been interested in famous people and have been known to pick the longest line in the supermarket in order to read the latest people magazine. I also arrive early for my regular dental cleanings, and for my monthly pedicures I gather a stack of trash that last till the final coat dries.

It is not a coincidence that all of these excursions are without my children. The childless errands are a break but the gossip itself is a total escape from my reality. Well, most people’s reality. I find the world of the rich and famous irresistible and almost hypnotic.

But now I have discovered the ultimate distraction and I do not need to go to the supermarket or have my teeth cleaned. Celebrity gossip Websites. I have several sites that I check first thing in the morning and they succeed in grounding me in a way that the “real” news does not.

I argue that these diversions are the ultimate in self-help; they really do make me feel better about myself. When I read about Britney Spears’ latest antics I feel like the best mother ever. When I read about famous marital breakups I am thankful for my own loyal and loving husband. When I see some scary plastic surgery, I am grateful that I still look young for my age.

These sites are also my absolute favorite form of procrastination. When I am stuck on something and staring at my screen I quickly check out what Perez Hilton has to say. When I start to ponder the name of a particular actor and what he has been in lately, I click over to IMDB. Before I know it fifteen minutes have gone by and I remind myself I have work to do.

I now use it as a treat for myself for completing a task. As soon as I balance my checkbook I can look. Just one more load of laundry and then I can see what is happening.

It is tricky because if I look too often it is not as special or exciting. But if I wait too long, I find myself reading about a couple who has just broken up before I knew that they were even together!

By Cathy Burke

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?