The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

 

A Good Suitcase

One item down near the end of my daughter’s Christmas list catches my eye. In her careful, loopy handwriting, she had printed, “a good suitcase.”

A good suitcase? Did she mean good as in Samsonite or good as in Louis Vuitton? I suppose she meant something better than the purple Hello Kitty roller bag she persistently asked for and received for her fourth birthday -- the now worn bag that she still methodically packs days in advance of any family car trip.

I’ve always thought of luggage as the appropriate gift for a high school graduate heading off to college, not a third grader who goes to an occasional slumber party. Therefore, I am inclined to dismiss the request as unnecessary if not outlandish. However, I decide to find out more.

My daughter explains that she wants something larger, well made, with lots of pockets. “I’m not going anywhere right now Mom, but I want to be prepared,” she says.

Despite her reasons, I am reluctant to indulge her.

I secretly admire her desire to be ready when adventure calls, but I am hesitant to outfit her for a journey. When she was three, she astonished me by confidently announcing, with hands on hips, that when she graduated from high school she will move to New York City. I couldn’t figure out where she had heard about high school let alone New York City, but I knew that there was prescience in her words.

She will eventually leave home, a day we will both have to prepare for.

But there will be no good suitcase under the tree this year. I’m not ready to make that purchase. The purple Hello Kitty roller bag will have to suffice for now.

By Tina Bournazos

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?