The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

 

Moody Mommy

I have been swung by my moods ever since I can remember, from the infrequent highs to the more common lows. Each mood pinched me like a currently popular article of clothing that everybody else wore with style, but somehow mine was the wrong material and size.

Not quite right.

As a child I was aware that others were not having the same life experiences as I was but I could not understand why.

I recognized that there were things you could control and things you could not. I put my moods in the same category as the weather. Certainly there must be a scientific explanation but I could never understand it, let alone control it.

I learned how to cope. I mastered matching my energy to the tasks at hand and retreated when I needed to. Being alone was the best way I knew to regain my balance.

But now I have a family of my own and time alone is a luxury. And as a respectable member of the PTA I can no longer rely on my self-prescribed doses of mochas for depression and marijuana for mania. Medicating my anxiety disorder has not worked out so I am trying hard to find my balance naturally.

Trying to parent with my particular brain chemistry is especially challenging. It is not just that I have no patience. It is that I do not understand patience. I share my children’s demand for instant gratification and truly relate to their pain. But I do not know how to guide them through by showing them a better way. I feel unable to set a better example because I do not know what that would be.

How can I teach what I never learned?

I worry that my children are destined to suffer as I have. I want to protect them from everything. I want to shield them from the judgments of others and I hope to teach them not to judge themselves too harshly. I just want them to fit in and be happy. I study every tantrum for evidence of something other than age appropriate bad manners. Are they “okay?” To me, every child appears to have a mood disorder. Almost all of the behavior I witness seems “inappropriate” but can I be objective?

As I watch for signs of trouble I try to be supportive and provide them with outlets for their frustration. I highlight choices we can all make to handle our feelings successfully.

I never got the help I needed as a child, but now I hope that my children and I can help each other.

By Cathy Burke

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites
Comments:
In parenting it is hard to gain perspective when you're "in the thick of it." For all of us. And you know what "help you never received" as a child. Hopefully you can use this to reach out and receive any assistance from others when your children need it or things are too overwhelming. That perspective you're lucky to have.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?