The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

 

Nursing

My son was two-years and nine months old, but we were still waking up every two hours.

It was time to take control of my life. Or at least my nights. For a month, I acted out a no-night-nursing scenario with Mama and Baby kangaroo stuffed animals.

“And then the Mama kangaroo said, ‘'No nursey at night.' Baby kangaroo cried. Mama held him tight.”

But when my son continued to wake me up nearly every hour wanting to nurse, I decided it was time to stop playing with kangaroos and take action. I wore a sundress to bed. That way my son couldn’t lift up my shirt. He whimpered, asked for “nursey,” and I held him in my arms. I offered water, watered-down juice, milk. But he wanted books. We read 53 of them from 1:00 to 4:30 in the morning in the downstairs family room.

I’m now 20 days into this no-nursing, sundress-to-bed routine, and last night -- for the first time in two years and nine months -- he SLEPT from 10 at night until 5 in the morning.

Unfortunately, now that my son's so well-rested -- he’s given up his nap.

By Ariana Amini

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?