The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

 

Kindergarten Top Ten

My daughter’s been a kindergartner for nearly a month now. Phoebe’s had some rough moments along the way. For the most part, though, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how well she’s adapting and by her enthusiasm for learning. And during these first few weeks of school, I’ve learned a thing or two myself:

1. After fretting about my little girl not being in the same class with any of her preschool buddies, it turns out the only one this was an issue for was me.

2. I don’t have to give up my procrastinating ways in order to get my daughter to school on time. I’ve fine-tuned a routine that lets me sleep until 7:15, feed Phoebe breakfast, help her get dressed, prepare her snack and lunch, and make the 15-minute drive to school before the first bell rings at 8:25.

3. Kindergartners spend their days doing “nothing.” Or at least that’s the response I get every time I ask Phoebe what she did in school.

4. Phoebe can be “best friends” with a boy.

5. I have the distinction of being the mother of the only girl in my daughter’s class who gets time outs. “But there are lots of boys who get time outs,” she assured me after I made this discovery.

6. The most exciting attraction on the playground is the storm drain. According to Phoebe, she and her “best friend” Tomas spend recess time dropping sticks and rocks into its stagnant water.

7. In the eyes of my daughter nothing is scarier -- or makes her fall in line faster -- than the sight of the principal wearing red lipstick. It’s not a good color for me, but I’m thinking of investing in a tube myself if it will yield similar results at home.

8. There is a “bully” in Phoebe’s class who doesn’t believe in her magical powers.

9. The money we no longer spend on preschool tuition will not be beefing up our savings as my husband and I envisioned. It will be going toward new playground equipment, KIDDO, various school fundraisers, and extra-curricular activities.

10. Kindergarten teachers deserve medals of honor. How Phoebe’s teacher manages to stay calm, kind and focused while teaching and managing twenty five-year-olds (especially ones like mine) boggles my mind.

By Dorothy O’Donnell

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites
Comments:
I knew I should have had girls! My little guy is still having a tough time adjusting to kindergarten and I am filled with anxiety daily. Enjoy this wonderful time!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?