The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

 

Dorm Life

Recently I drove my daughter back to college for her sophomore year instead of putting her on a plane. I wanted to meet her friends, see her room, load her up with a year’s supply of detergent. If I could visualize where she’d be for the next year, I knew we’d both be OK.

We’d splurged on an expensive detour to a historic lodge enroute, so I planned to spend a night in her dorm before tackling the 12-hour drive back home. That way I could save money on a hotel and maximize our time together. Besides, I had loved dorm life when I was in college a hundred years ago, and could imagine nothing more fun than dropping in on it again.

What a mistake.

After a certain age, no one should spend a night in a college dormitory unless it’s as a participant in Elder Hostel. After insisting that my daughter hang out with her friends instead of me, I holed up in her single room counting the hours 'till my getaway. Luckily, very few college students go to bed at 10:00 and wake up at 6:00, so I was able to sneak into the bathroom undetected. Never have I felt so invisible and out of place. I couldn’t wait to jump in the car the next morning and head home where I belonged.

Now I knew exactly how my daughter felt when I dropped her off the year before.

By Lorrie Goldin

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites
Comments:
Lorrie, this was so funny. The line about the Elder Hostel made me laugh throughout the day.

The blog in general reminded me of my own mother's visit with me and my college roommates. Her experience was a little different than yours. My old roommates still tease me about how my mom was so comfortable she cooked eggs in her underwear in the kitchen. (!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?