The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Friday, August 17, 2007

 

Superdad

Twisting my body to lift my son, I strained my back. Bam! It went out, just like that. Afterward, I could barely move without excruciating pain.

I thought, “How am I going to care for my toddler?” Just the thought of putting my son in his car seat or even lifting his legs to change his diaper made me cringe.

Luckily, my husband is Superdad, and he swooped in to the rescue. Superdad is not a mythical comic book figure, but a real superhero that lives in our home. He heard there was trouble in the family, so he raced home from work early to help. No matter that his work was in crisis and he was under tremendous pressure. His family comes first.

Once home, Superdad scooped up our son and commanded that I do absolutely nothing. When I picked up a brush to clean our son’s bottles, he snatched it away. “I mean nothing!” he said, pointing at the couch, where he commanded I sit.

Then, in one swift move, Superdad washed the dishes, cleaned the baby bottles, took out the garbage, fed our son, changed his diaper, cooked an amazing chicken-vegetable curry, played with our son, gave him his bath, put on his PJ’s, read him a story, and put him to bed.

After the dust settled at his feet, Superdad entered the living room where I was sitting like a guilty lump on the couch. With a twist of his wrist, he handed me Tylenol, and then lectured me about the importance of taking it easy. He then slipped onto the computer to solve a problem I complained about, and after that, he finally had his dinner. It was 10 p.m.

This is typical Superdad.

But even when his family is not in crisis, Superdad is there. He cooks fantastic meals, grocery shops, makes repairs around the house. He often gives our son his bath and puts him to bed. If our son wakes in the middle of the night, Superdad is usually the one who puts him back to sleep. (I offer, but he says he likes to do it.)

Superdad also comes home from work early if I need him, plays with our son for hours, and brings me flowers unexpectedly.

He loves his family and protects them from all evil on the planet. Can any mother think of a better superhero to have in this modern world?

By Cindy Bailey

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites
Comments:
If I were you, I'd be tempted to put my back out at least once a month! ;) He sounds wonderful. I loved reading about such a thoughtful person.
 
Great essay. Wish Superdad lived at my house!
 
Great essay. I wish SUperdad lived at our house.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?