The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Monday, July 23, 2007

 

iGroan

Fourth of July at the Sushi Ran bar, I watched two metrosexual executive producer types compare their gear.

The more heavily accessorized of the two was experiencing major phone envy. Wearing a pork pie hat over a white do rag, Bono shades and a meticulously trimmed goatee wasn’t enough. His buddy was flashing an iPhone, and the Treo in his hand was so 48 hours ago.

I’m gonna get one. I have to get one.

He poured more sake into his tiny cup and looked very sad.

At the Marin farmer’s market, I witnessed another green moment. A vendor was describing his encounter with his sister’s iPhone. For hours they played with it. A customer interrupted scooping organic arugula into a bag long enough to detach his phone case from his belt. He flipped open the cover and the vendor moaned. Oh, that’s it. It’s good you got a case for it. . . It’s so cool . . .

My son’s friend got one.

Many parents struggle with the question of when or if to get their kids a cell phone. We resisted until I found myself hypocritically calling my son’s friends' phones to let him know I was on my way to pick him up from lacrosse. It is without question the best way to keep contact with your 14-year old. That or lock him in the basement. After we ironed out the $400 in text message charges, it has become a minor expense. But a $600 phone for a kid?

As parents in Marin we are often confronted with these moments of bewilderment. Tweens are riding $2,000 dollar mountain bikes. Your kid’s friend always has 20 bucks for snacks. Third graders have better laptops than yours, and now 14-year olds with an iPhone.

I miss Marin’s feigned bohemia.

By Mary Allison Tierney

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?