The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

 

Too Young, Too Unfair

While in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago, visiting my husband’s family, I called my friend Hanne, who had just moved there from San Francisco.

I was hoping I could visit, but I knew the timing wasn’t right: she was expecting her second baby any day.

When we spoke she reminded me of this, and said that also her first, Lucas, who is 20 months old and extremely active, had fallen down and wasn’t walking properly, so they were taking him in for an MRI.

No chance for a visit, but I called her back later to check in. “Is Lucas all right?” I asked, thinking the fall couldn’t have been that bad. “No he’s not,” she said. “It’s extremely rare, but he has a large tumor in his spine and that’s why he’s not walking right.” I was in shock.

She explained the tumor had to be removed immediately and there was the risk Lucas might be paralyzed afterward, unable to walk again. I glanced at my own son, who is 18 months old and was standing on a coffee table ringing a mini cow bell with his whole body. I thought again, Lucas is not even 2 years old! I warned Hanne, though, against jumping to the worst case scenario. There are so many possibilities in between.

On May 21, Lucas underwent surgery, and the outcome was the best they could hope for. Doctors were able to remove 95% of the tumor, the rest being too difficult to get without causing permanent damage. Nevertheless, there was some damage and Lucas will have to learn to walk again. They’re now awaiting biopsy results, which will tell them if Lucas will receive chemotherapy or radiation to remove what remains.

The day after her son’s surgery, on May 22, Hanne delivered her baby girl. When I called again she joked, “At last I can buy pink things!” and for her son, she sounded strong and optimistic. “I have to be,” she explained. “If I’m not strong, how can I expect him to be?”

I was impressed with the grace with which she was handling her situation.

“Kiss your boys on the head tonight and thank God they’re healthy,” she said.

That I did.

By Cindy Bailey

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?