The Writing Mamas Daily Blog

Each day on the Writing Mamas Daily Blog, a different member will write about mothering.

If you're a mom then you've said these words, you've made these observations and you've lived these situations - 24/7.

And for that, you are a goddess.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

 

Graduation

Dear Mom,

I wish you were here. Your youngest granddaughter is about to walk across the stage for her college diploma. You'd be so proud! She's graduating Cum Laude in biochemistry, no less! I just want to jump up and down here in the amphitheater and yell at the top of my voice, "You did it, girl, you made it. We made it!"

I know, Mom, you worried that I wouldn't have enough money to send one of your granddaughters to college, much less two. You worried about me, not them. You knew they'd be okay. I kept telling you not to worry. I know better now. . . you can't tell a mom not to worry!

Oh, I wish you were here to take in this proud moment with me. I'm sitting next to your oldest granddaughter who graduated college last year. She's already working in a real job, making real money.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. . . how could I deprive you of attending my college graduation (we rebelled against most institutions in the sixties, especially our colleges and, of course, our college graduations). Now I understand why you were so upset; you just wanted to show up and be a proud parent like I am today. I didn't understand a mother's pride then. I was too busy being a rebellious daughter.

Mom, I wish I could make it up to you by sharing this moment with you at your granddaughter's graduation.

Oh, look! There she goes across the stage. The short one in those high heels under that black gown.

"Honey, that girl is smart and pretty. She'll go far someday!" Did I hear you tell me this before, maybe at her middle school graduation? That was the last graduation we attended together.

Hey, Mom, she's still smart and pretty and look how far she's come!

By Marilee Stark

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble This Post Add to Technorati Favorites
Comments:
My daughter was graduating so I wanted some real cute, but inexpensive, photo graduation announcements, and I found several good sites, Graduation Cards Shop, Cards Shoppe and Announcements-Shoppe. They all have real unique graduation invitations, and you can use my own wordings with lots of sample graduation sayings for me to use. I ordered from Graduation Cards Shop, and the graduation cards were beautiful. I got lots of compliments.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?